Monday, January 3, 2011

Attending the San Diego Car Show... for the Visual Art?




Somehow I ended up with free tickets to the 2011 San Diego International Car Show, and so I figured I would go. Cars are somewhere in my blood-- my grandfather ran a few car dealerships in his days, and my grandmother used to come to San Diego specifically to attend this yearly convention. I always kind of wanted to go but never got around to it-- until this year.

I anticipated bubble cars and hot girls in little blue mini skirts and thick blue eyeshadow showing the latest innovations in electric cars... or something like that. At least I figured there would be a lowrider section or a strange car section or a custom car sections.

Nope. Just a bunch of boring 2011 models. Nissans, Hondas, Fords, blah blah blah. Well, ok, some old muscle cars, some antique cars, but overall pretty boring. Except for the company. Guy Lombardo kept yelling out funny things.



"I can drive this car to my tea party meetings!"

The American Pride Chevy was one of the more memorable things there... A Chevy dedicated to WAR.






yay for war



But I saved the best for last.

The most interesting thing I saw was the sculpture on display fromThe Device Gallery, the local gallery known for exhibiting mechanical, robotic, and metal arts. Inside the velvet ropes, near the display antique cars were these wonderful metallic robot and automotive sculptures, looking as if they had just been created from the cars around them. These delightfully placed works were created by artists: Greg Brotherton, Dan Joens, and Paul Loughridge.






What a clever way to insert visual art into an event that would typically have nothing to do with it.

Good job Device Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment