Sunday, September 5, 2010

ART SD 10 --- ART SAN DIEGO Contemporary Art Fair: Sept 2-5


It's THE Contemporary Art Fair in San Diego... that lots of artists didn't know about...
It's the commercial art fair that all the major galleries in San Diego participated in...
It's the commercial art fair that many local artists shied away from...
It's the art fair that many other venues piggy-backed on...
It's the reason that September is San Diego Arts Month...
It's an art convention that only the elite galleries could afford to participate in...
It's The San Diego Art Fair that exhibited art work by Tony Oursler ...
It's a high-end art fair for rich people...
It's an interesting afternoon of art...
It's a medium-sized convention room in the Hilton by The Bay hotel filled with overpriced art and overpriced booths from which to exhibit art...
It's a great opportunity to sell work to collectors and the public...

I don't know what ART SD 10 actually is/was. Even though I attended. I volunteered at the San Diego Visual Arts Network booth, or perhaps it was 2 booths that exhibited the work of the San Diego Art Prize recipients: Gail Roberts, David Addey, the de la Torre brothers, and Julio Oroczco. I had a little speech that I gave to the passers-by.

"Are you familiar with the San Diego Visual Arts Network and the San Diego Art Prize?"

"No?"

"These booths are exhibiting the work of the 2010 San Diego Art Prize recipients. Every year two established artists are selected for the prize, and they each select an emerging artist to mentor and exhibit with. Here, take a flier."

Something like that anyway.

I also wandered around. The most interesting work that I saw was probably the least saleable. Tony Ourlser's video projections, for instance. I only saw two video pieces in the fair.

I don't really have any kind of good closing for this, or even opinion on what the hell I actually experienced. Maybe I need to go back today.

No comments:

Post a Comment